"But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." Philipians 3:13b,14

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Multigrain Blueberry Pancakes- and Summer Adventure Ideas........

So, yesterday was Monday. Like I've said before, Monday mornings are family breakfast days here at our house. So I decided to try and make up a recipe for multigrain pancakes, since Costco is out of my favorite mix (don't you hate when you get hooked on something and then Costco stops carrying it??! Sheesh!)




So, Here's what you're going to need:
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup white flour
  • 1/4 cup oatmeal (you can use old fashioned rolled oats, or quick cooking oats, either are fine)
  • 2 Tb whole flax seeds (I LOVE the golden toasted flax seeds)
  • 2 Tb wheat germ
  • 2 Tb brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 Tb canola oil
  • (not pictured) 1/2 cup blueberries (DUH! I hadn't had coffee yet.....) and milk. After I mixed everything up, I didn't like how thick the batter was, so I added 2 or 3 Tb of milk to thin it a bit. I used fresh blueberries, but you could totally use frozen if fresh aren't available. Seriously, how good do these blueberries look?! They have been AMAZING the last few weeks!!

                                    
      



Immediately after this photo, I took care of drinking my coffee. Very important if I am going to be doing anything requiring thinking. I love drinking out of this mug, I bought it from the expo when I did my Ironman. It was so nerve racking buying items before the race, hoping nothing would go wrong and I could finish! That was a good, good race. :) This mug makes me smile.


These are the flax seeds I prefer to use- golden toasted flax seeds. I buy mine from Trader Joe's and I think they are great in yogurt, oatmeal, and some baked goods.

Put all of the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl, then give them a quick whisk to combine them before you add the wet ingredients








Then, you want to add the 1 cup buttermilk, 2 eggs, 1 Tb oil, and 2 or 3 Tb milk. Whisk it all together, then gently mix in the blueberries. Then, cook them up!!

I have this cool electric griddle that my parents got me, because my exercise group used to do something called "bike and pancakes" every Saturday at my place, and my two frying pans weren't capable of keeping the pancakes coming fast enough!






My dad joined us for breakfast! I love when my dad comes over to eat with us. He always has his big ol' coffee mug. He is fond of saying, "I only have one cup of coffee a day!"


All of the guys think it is HILARIOUS that I go around taking photos of all the food. My dad suggested I take a photo of....uuhhhhh...... the digested food, you know, just to be thorough. I declined.

You're welcome.







Everyone really enjoyed these pancakes!! The recipe was declared "a keeper" by all the guys.


So, on a different topic, I am toying with some type of summer adventure/challenge.

I am thinking either a trail 50k, or a 50 miler. I am checking out races and thinking. A few races I'm looking at are:

Shadow of the Giants 50k (well, it's actually a 33 miler, so 50k is a misnomer), it's in Fish Camp, CA, up in the Sierra National Forest. Beautiful, and just a fun race.
Diablo Marathon or 60k (this would be a TOUGH race) The marathon has almost 8,000 ft elevation gain, and it's on an extremely technical trail. But it would be a challenge. And it would be amazingly beautiful
Headlands 50 mile This 50 miler has over 10k elevation gain, but great views, really scenic course, up in Northern California, in the Golden Gate National Recreation area. This is actually the course that makes up the 100 miler I would like to consider when I start looking at those.......

So those are my ideas so far. I'm sure I'll find a bunch more things that look interesting and end up doing something that isn't even on this list!! I have also considered doing some hiking trips, and maybe putting in for a permit to summit Mt Whitney.......

Who knows. Maybe I'll just take up shuffleboard. ;)

Well, it's been about a month now since I started this blog.

You know what? I am having a blast writing it! I wasn't sure if I would like it, but I have really been enjoying the whole process. Plus, I get to take lots of photos of food, which is one of my favorite hobbies!

So, I think I'll keep at it for a bit and see if I keep liking it- I have a feeling I will!! :)

Have a great morning!

DINNER TONIGHT:
Crock pot Lentil and Barley Soup (I am blogging on this sometime this week!)
Yeast Rolls
Strawberries

2 comments:

  1. YUMMY!!! One day I just want to do a 30 mile race, go you and your 50's...miss you all, I ll be back in less then 7 weeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would do a 30 miler with you!! :)

    ReplyDelete