"But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." Philipians 3:13b,14

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Hearty, Healthy Crock Pot Lentil and Barley Soup

I love my Crock Pot. It helps me out on days when I know I will be pressed for time. Do you have days like that? Where you're hopping from this thing to that thing with little time in between (and heaven forbid anyone spill their juice on their clothes, or have a meltdown during those days...... ) I use my Crock Pot most often on bible study days, because I have a totally booked day, and I still like to have dinner planned. Before I started doing Crock Pot cooking, I would usually be tempted to grab fast food on super busy, activity-laden days. (It's so much nicer to have something planned ahead so that I feel good about what my family is eating, and fast food or eating out is a treat, and not a necessity due to my poor planning) This soup is SO good, and really good for you!



Of course, because this soup is so healthy, and since I'm all about balance in my life, I served the soup with some homemade yeast rolls. Man, they are soooo good. Here's that recipe- Grandma's Yeast Rolls


Here's what you need:

  • 1 cup lentils
  • 1/3 cup pearl barley
  • 1 cup chopped carrots
  • 1 cup sliced celery
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
  • 1/2 tsp dried basil
  • 1/2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/4 tsp dried thyme
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 6 cups broth (I used chicken this time, but I have used vegetable when making this for vegetarian friends and it is yummy too)
  • 1 can (14 1/4 oz) diced tomatoes



I just had to include this photo, because in our house, the boys always have to make some joke about fiber....... please tell me if you have a house full of males, this happens to you.....


Chop up the veggies......



One little tip, if you use cartons of chicken broth, is to write the date that you open the carton on the top if there's some left to put into the fridge. That way, you know it's not all old and sketchy the next time you go to use it. (or, you know it IS old and sketchy and DON'T use it......)



Then just put all of the ingredients into the crock pot! Set it on low, and cook for 7-10 hours. If you need it to cook more quickly, you can also cook it on high for about 5 or 6 hours.

I love this soup with the yeast rolls and some fresh fruit......





I really like this blog for crock pot recipes: http://www.crockpot365.blogspot.com/ a few of the things I have made from that site that I really like are:
~Creamy Corn and Spinach Enchiladas
~Mac and Cheese
~Dijon Chicken and Sweet Potatoes

Since it's spring break for our home school this week (Oh my word it is SO nice to be free from school work this week, I cannot even tell you), I had to pay a little homage to spring! Spring has most definitely come to my yard!! I have tiny little apricots on my tree!!





I also have a few beautiful apple blossoms on my tree.....




Are you growing anything? I am debating whether or not I'll have time to do my "square foot garden" containers this year, I really want to though............ there's just nothing like home-grown tomatoes.

DINNER TONIGHT:
Cheeseburger Noodle Casserole (from Frozen Assets)
Salad
Strawberries and Oranges




1 comment:

  1. I love all the step-by-step pictures and play by play narration. I feel like I'm right there with you and can imagine what I would say in response, especially to the fiber comments from the males in your household. he he If you can't beat 'em join 'em.

    ReplyDelete