"But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." Philipians 3:13b,14

Monday, February 28, 2011

Homemade Energy Bars

Around our house, these are called "Candice Bars" because my friend Candice was the one who showed me this recipe :)



I started looking for a homemade energy bar recipe when I was doing more intense training for a race, because store bought bars are REALLY expensive. Also, Wade likes taking a bar for breakfast every day, and both of my boys like them for snacks.

Here's what you need to make them:

Rolled oats (old fashioned regular oatmeal), Rice Krispies, dry roasted peanuts, dry roasted sunflower seeds, dried fruit (I used dried cranberries and golden raisins, but you can use whatever you like/have), wheat germ (optional, but good), peanut butter (I use creamy because I think crunchy is gross), brown sugar, vanilla, and honey

First, you want to get a large mixing bowl, and put in 2 cups of rolled oats, 2 cups of Rice Krispies, 2 cups of dried fruit (I only use about 1- 1 1/2 cups), 1/2 cup peanuts, 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, and 1/4 cup wheat germ:

See how many good, healthy, yummy ingredients are in these suckers??

Then you want to mix it all up- I used my big spoonula, or you could use a spatula or your hands:


Next, you need to make the topping. Now, you have two options- I use double the topping ingredients, and the bars are more like a cliff bar- all of the ingredients are coated with the topping. Or you can use the regular amount, and it's a little more like a chewy granola bar. Your choice.

So in a microwave-safe bowl, you'll put either 1/2 cup (for the chewy granola bar-type bars) or a full cup (for the cliff bar-type bars) of each; peanut butter, brown sugar, and honey:


Microwave it for 1 minute, then stir, then microwave for another minute. Then add the 1 tsp of vanilla, and stir until smooth:





Then you want to pour the topping into the dry ingredients, and mix it until it's all evenly coated:



Then dump it all into a 9x13 pan that you've lightly coated with Pam spray and push it all in so it's even and packed into the pan:


At this point, what I like to do it throw some foil on top and stick the pan in the fridge for an hour or so. This makes the bars easier to cut and to wrap. (I like to wrap mine individually in saran wrap because I think snacks that are easier to grab and go are more likely to be consumed )

Ok, so while the bars are chilling, let me tell you what I've been thinking about. My workout routine. So below is my current routine:

Monday-rest
Tuesday- swim
Wednesday- trail run
Thursday- bike, and usually afternoon tempo run
Friday- road run
Saturday- long bike
Sunday- long run

I'm thinking about adding a weight lifting workout 3 times per week (and maybe dropping the swim. Oh how I would love to drop the swim), so I've got to look at my schedule and see where I can fit that in. I found an awesome full body weight lifting routine, and a great app on my phone (I have a Droid X- love it!) where you can enter your weight routine and then keep track of your reps and sets. My thinking is that I will add this routine 3 times/week for the month of March, and then evaluate at the end of the month whether it's something to do for April. (if I look all buff and awesome by April, I'm TOTALLY keeping it! hahahaha!!) After I do the workout a few times, if I like it, I'll post it here so you can try it too if you want. :)

(we now return to our previously scheduled program..........)

So then I cut the bars (I make 16 per batch) and wrap each in a square of saran wrap (or you could put them in sandwich-sized ziploc bags):



I like to store them in the fridge in a plastic container. They are great for biking or hiking, good for lunch box snacks, and nice to have on hand for a quick, easy breakfast! :)

I LOVE when I can find ways to make things we would normally buy at the store at home. They usually taste better, save money, and you can make them how you like them! :)

Dinner Tonight-
~Chicken, Cashew, and Red Pepper Stir Fry (from Cooking Light Magazine)
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000001886437
~Brown Rice (steamed in a rice cooker)
~Tangerines

Question:
Do you work out? If so, what is your usual routine? If not, what would you like to do?

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for the recipe!! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome!! If you make them, let me know how you like them!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi.. found your blog thru Aimees... not sure if you remember me from Calvary Redlands way back when but I looove your blog! Your bars look delicious as I am a bar girl ;-)I exercise 3 times a week with my girls for PE.. ususally a walk or hike but am starting my runs again before I take them on a walk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Stacy!!!!!! So do you homeschool your girls? I homeschool too!! It is great to hear from you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi... Yep I have always homeschooled all my kids.. I graduated Josh last year and have 9th and 4th grade girls :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look SO good! And, they have my favorite ingredient: HONEY! I will have to try! How far are your current long runs/rides? Curious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you like them :)

    My long run is 15 miles pretty much every week unless I'm training for a race and need to do something longer. My long bike (which I have skipped the last 2 weeks due to weather) is around 40ish, depending on if I do hills or not. I usually like to shoot for 40-50. This rain has been KILLING me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's right Stacy- I think I remember that :) Wow, you've graduated one already!! Awesome!! My oldest will graduate next year!

    ReplyDelete