"But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." Philipians 3:13b,14

Monday, December 5, 2011

Creme Brulee French Toast! (Make-Ahead, Overnight, and DELICIOUS)

This french toast is taunting me.

There is a piece left over in the fridge.

I need to have a protein smoothie- it is race week for me, and I can't be eating Creme Brulee French Toast every day.

.....but I would if I could!


This tastes SO good!


And you can make it the night before, so all you have to do in the morning is pop it into the oven!


Here's what you need:
1/2 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 Tb corn syrup (If you are anti-corn syrup, I am sure honey would work)
1 loaf  french bread, unsliced (Or 6-7 THICK slices french or egg bread)
5 eggs
1 1/2 cup half and half
1 tsp. vanilla 
1/4 tsp salt

So the night before, you're going to make the French Toast. In a small saucepan on low heat, melt the butter, then add the brown sugar and the corn syrup, and stir until the sugar is dissolved:



Then, pour this mixture into a 9x13 pan that's been sprayed with Pam:


Then take your bread and slice it thick (I do about 1 1/2" slices) and put 6 pieces into the pan. Then I cut some smaller pieces and fit them in, so there isn't much empty space:


Then, beat together the eggs, half and half, vanilla, and salt, and pour over the bread, soaking each piece.


Toe thumb sighting. Ugh.



I am sorry for the horrible lighting. It was late, and dark.

Ok, now at this point, cover the pan with foil and put it in the fridge until morning.


In the morning, the recipe says to take out the pan and bring to room temperature. I don't do that. I usually take it out before I run, and bake it when I get home, but that's usually only 1 1/2 hours or so. I have also baked it straight from the fridge. It just takes a bit longer.

Preheat the oven to 350. Bake the French Toast, UNCOVERED, for 40- 50 minutes, or until puffed and slightly golden.


I forgot to take a photo until we had eaten most of it! So when you serve the Creme Brulee French Toast, you'll flip the piece over so that the caramely yummy part is on the top. Mmmmmmmmm.....


This is a great recipe for the holidays, I have served it often for Christmas breakfast. So good!!

I slightly adapted this recipe from allrecipes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment