"But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." Philipians 3:13b,14

Monday, March 21, 2011

Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter No-Bake Cookies

All I have to say about these cookies is.... YUM! They are so addicting, they are the perfect sweetness, and I love the texture. I store them in the fridge, and they sort of have that "Texas Sheet Cake" icing flavor, moist, fudgy and yummy!! They are really quick and easy to make, and would be ideal to make with the kids, they could totally measure things and scoop the batter. I'll bet you have most of the stuff in your cabinet right now to make these suckers.... MAKE SOME!!! (Are you making some yet???...how about now?.....how about now...??)






Here's what you'll need: (I found this recipe on http://www.browneyedbaker.com/ )
  • 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
  • 2 cups sugar (it's ok, you can brush your teeth and exercise later......)
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 4 Tb cocoa powder (I used Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa powder, I bought it for another recipe I want to try this week, and it was AWESOME in this recipe. You can also totally use regular cocoa powder. This is NOT the same thing as hot cocoa mix, it's an unsweetened cocoa powder that you can find in the baking aisle)
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter (Creamy. If you've read my other posts, like this one and this one ,you know how I feel about crunchy)
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 3 cups quick cooking oats (see- these are so healthy that they contain OATMEAL! Hahahahaha!!)






That's the cocoa powder I used...



Before you start, rip off a few pieces of wax paper and lay them on the counter. This is where you'll drop the cookies after you make the batter.





So, get a medium saucepan and put the butter, sugar, milk, and cocoa powder into the pan. Heat if over medium heat until it comes to a boil, whisking it to make it smooth. Boil for 1 minute, then remove from the heat:



Then, add the vanilla and peanut butter, and whisk until smooth. (I have no idea why the peanut butter looks so disgusting in this photo! It must be the light!!)


Then, add in the oats:



Stir the oats into the rest of the stuff. Then, drop the mixture by spoonfuls onto the waxed paper. I used tablespoons, you could use teaspoons if you wanted the cookies smaller....





I put them in a tupperware container with wax paper between the layers of cookies, and stored them in the fridge. They are dwindling quickly. I should have told Wade that they were whole wheat cookies, then he would have left them alone.....



Happy Monday!!

......so did you make some of these cookies yet...?? Ha ha!

DINNER TONIGHT:
Whole Wheat Bread
Green Salad
Orange Slices

39 comments:

  1. We love those things.

    We call them Kitty Crap Cookies at my house, and I had to stop making them, because personally, I find them beyond addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dangerous when you are trying to stay away from sugar and LOOOOOVE dark chocolate and peanut butter anything.. will have to wait to make them in a few weeks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, that is hilarious because my friend Robert declared that they looked like cat poop. Hahaha! I had to cut myself off yesterday. I ate waaaaay too many.......

    Stacy.... I am posting some healthy recipes this week too, I promise! But when you are back to sugar...... make these! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These cookies came out on the dry side for me. Any suggestions? I did use 2% milk. could that be the problem?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to know before I make them as that is what I would use...would evaporated skim milk work....it tends to be a good sub. for so many things.
      They do sound delicious!

      Delete
    2. If you boil for 5 seconds too long, they will be very dry try again and don't boil as long;)

      Delete
  5. Ok, just saw this on a friend's FB page! How can I resist! By the way, I'm following your blog now too! Come visit me at www.A-Million-Skies.com

    Thanks! Can't wait to eat these:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just made these tonight for my husbands unit( all the guys and girls not going home for the holidays!) They smell and look sooo good I cannot wait to taste one! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found these through a Pinterest pin, and I am excited! I live in China and don't have an oven and have been looking for some cookies to make without the oven needed! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. At our house, we call them poo poo candy!! These are my brother all time favorite "cookie".

    ReplyDelete
  9. I store them in freezer

    ReplyDelete
  10. Does it matter what milk you use? 2% okay?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, and i went to Walmart, and they didn't have any dark chocolate powder. So i just got regular cocoa powder. Will that work? What can i add to make it dark chocolate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used regular Nestle cocoa powder, and they were still fantastic, for anyone with this question.

      Delete
    2. We use 3 Tablespoon of dark and 2 of regular cocoa powder. I use all regular when out of dark also.

      Delete
  12. Do you think it would still work if I used old fashioned rolled oats? Im excited to try this delicious looking poo poo cookies, giggle :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. While you can use old fashioned rolled oats, they make them more Rough to eat cause they are only boiling for one minute and old fashion rolled oats are to cook for 5 minutes. They are not as good with those, but that is just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can you use splenda sweatner in place of the sugar ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always use splenda and I double the peanut butter because I like more of the flavor.

      Delete
  15. Do I need to refrigerate them, or let them cool at room temp?

    ReplyDelete
  16. We call these preacher cookies in my family, ive never tasted them with the dark chocolate though

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been making these for years. For Easter, I shape them like bird's nests and fill with 3-4 jelly beans. No need to refrigerate, but will set up faster if you do. Can add coconut if you like also.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I used the dark chocolate cocoa powder plus Jif's new dark chocolate peanut butter. It brought out the dark chocolate taste just a tad bit more but you still have the peanut butter taste too. If you want more of the peanut butter taste use regular cocoa powder and regular peanut butter.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just tried these cookies and while they are delicious, they did not harden and are a gooey blob. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you use margarine instead of butter? I did and I'm having the same problem! And once before I made them w butter and they were perfect

      Delete
  20. I think they are berrer with butter (what's. Not) we call them mud cookies and eat some of them while still warm. When we were kids we always ate the warm ones on the little saucers that came in crystal oats.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just made some we'll see how they do, they look great.

    ReplyDelete
  22. ooh nice but not too good for the figure... munch munch

    ReplyDelete
  23. Three cups of oats was far too much. I followed the recipe to the letter but ended up with a mess I couldn't even stir. I salvaged it by melting a cup,of chocolate chips in a half cup of milk and adding it to the goop. Two cups of oats would be plenty.

    ReplyDelete
  24. i'm 54. this is one of the no bake cookies made in home ec, i replaced the peanut butter with pb2.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Have found they harden up quicker when humidity is low........for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've made these several times now and they're always delicious. Amazing praise from me because the first time I tried someone's no bakes I thought they were foul, grainy, nasty tasting things! After many years I reluctantly tried them again and either my taste buds had changed or the person who made them was a no bake genius. I'm a dark chocolate lover (was first converted by Mrs. See's) so when I saw this recipe, I had to try it. Not only did I love it, but so did my family, friends and co-workers. The cookies were smooth, not grainy at all. I never have quick oats on hand so I toasted my oats. Consequently, the cookies were not too chewy and it even seemed to enhance the flavor; or maybe that's just my odd taste buds again. :) At any rate, thank you for sharing the recipe. I'm doing it again tonight for family Resurrection Sunday Dinner and expect they'll be a hit as always!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi! Can I use rice krispies instead of oats?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great Post!!! Dark Chocolate Bark is a foolproof healthy dessert for Valentine's Day and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  29. oh yay finally find recipe for this No-Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Cookies. Chocolatey, fudgy, dense and so chewy! They are irresistible!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Is it possible to use a blend of sugar and Swerve sugar replacement?

    ReplyDelete