"But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." Philipians 3:13b,14

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Make Your Own Granola!

I love granola. I eat granola-type cereal nearly every morning. If I buy it, I like Kashi Go Lean Crisp, or Nature's Path Pumpkin Flax Granola. I LOVE making my own though. It's WAY cheaper, and I can add the things I like to the recipe. I add either dry or fresh fruit when I eat it, depending on what I have. And I almost always have it with yogurt. Yum.


Here is what I put into mine, but the nuts, seeds, etc can be swapped for the things that you like:


  • 6 cups rolled oats (old-fashioned oatmeal)
  • 1 cup almonds (I used slivered)
  • 1 cup pecans (I used raw pecan peices)
  • 1/2 cup wheat germ
  • 1/2 cup flax seeds (I LOVE the golden toasted flax seeds)
  • 1 bag flaked coconut (I usually use unsweetened, 14oz bag, but this time I had flaked, sweetened on hand, so that's what I used)
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • 1/3 cup oil
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/2 tsp salt




So, first put all the "stuff" ingredients in a large bowl (oats through the coconut)




Then, mix up all the other ingredients in a smaller bowl (brown sugar through the salt)






Then dump the wet stuff into the "stuff" stuff, and stir it all up, REALLY well, until all of the granola is coated evenly. Then, spread it into a large pan (I have a full sheet pan, or you could also use two 9x13 pans.)



Then, bake it in the oven at 275 degrees for about 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes, stirring it around every 15 minutes or so, in order to help it brown and crisp evenly. Then, I ususally take it and put it in the mixing bowl (which I've washed and lined with paper towels) to cool:




That's it! Wasn't that easy?? Now just store it either in Tupperware or Ziploc bags. Or just eat it all. Whatever works out best for you. ;)



DINNER TONIGHT:
Whole wheat pasta with grilled chicken and chopped tomatoes (maybe some basil and parmesan too)
Salad
Tangerines

1 comment:

  1. i LOVE granola which is so weird because it seems SO HEALTHY...but i think it must be the oil and brown sugar combo that keeps me digging in for more!!!! can't wait to try this recipe!!!!!!!! we're going to Forest Falls tomorrow- granola might be just the ticket! Thanks!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete