"But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." Philipians 3:13b,14

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Homemade Thai Crunch Salad (seriously, MAKE THIS!!)

Ok, I LOVE this salad!!!!!!! It is based on a salad I've had from California Pizza Kitchen that I really liked (but it's like ten bucks a pop) So I decided I was going to tinker around and figure out how to make one at home so we could eat them all the time without having to spend a lot of money or go out! :)

Here's what you need:

Shredded green cabbage, dry roasted peanuts, chow mein noodles, cilantro, green onions, and Kraft Asian Toasted Sesame Dressing (I get the light version so this whole salad is a great low cal lunch!)

I have also added several other things if I have them on hand- shelled edamame (soy beans), avocado, cucumber, red bell pepper, or cooked chicken. Be creative and add whatever you like!

So basically, just throw some cabbage in a bowl (I would say like 1 1/2 cups or so), then add the peanuts:



And then for the chow mein noodles, I put some in my hand and sorta crunch them up (mostly because I count my calories and it seems like there's more if they're crunched up. Wade gets mad when I crunch his up. Also, he secretly- or so he thinks- always adds more peanuts to his salad after I make it because he suspects me of skimping on his peanuts since I measure mine. He is sort of paranoid. But cute):



Next I like to thinly slice a green onion, and give a rough chop to a few tablespoons or so of cilantro:


(and at this point Wade will see me chopping this up and say, "oh babe, I don't want any cilantro or green onion in mine," and I will say, "I know that, you tell me that every time!" Do you have those kinds of conversations in your house? ;)  )

.....and I toss them into the bowl (my bowl, because Wade doesn't want any in his. In case you didn't know. Ha ha)


And then toss it all together with some of the Kraft dressing. It's pretty decent as far as calories and fat go, so I will usually use two servings:



That's it!! Then just dish it up and eat it!


I eat this for lunch a few times per week, it's quick, healthy, and yummy!! :)

It is also good for packed lunches if you put the cabbage, cilantro, and green onion in the bowl, the chow mein noodles and peanuts in a ziploc, and the dressing in a little bowl.

Have a great Tuesday!

10 comments:

  1. I definitely want to try this one. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know how you like it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Shari, going to make it this weekend. ♥Steph

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you're going to try it Steph!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SOOO going to make this, but I will add bean sprouts, 'cause I love been sprouts. Thanks so much for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooohhhh..... I never thought of bean sprouts!! I know what's going on my grocery list! Great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been loving your blog (got the link from the SL forums). I'm eating this salad right now...YUM! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh GOOD!! I am so happy you are enjoying it Heather- I am having SOOOOOO much fun doing it, it's almost silly!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Made this, and loved it. New husband favorite. My husband is not new. But this is his new favorite. I'm sure you got that....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahahahaha!! ;) Does he like the cilantro and green onions, or is he like Wade....??

    ReplyDelete