"But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." Philipians 3:13b,14

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Make Your Own (Whatever Flavor- SUPER easy) Scones!

These scones are good.

Really good.

And they keep well I am not sure how long they will keep- ours were eaten in a day.

Wade wanted blueberry, and the boys wanted chocolate chip, so I made half and half.

Here's what you'll need:
(I halved this recipe. Dumb choice. 6 scones didn't last long. This recipe makes 12. Make the whole thing.)

  • 1 cup sour cream (I used light)




  • 1 teaspoon baking soda




  • 4 cups all-purpose flour




  • 1 cup white sugar




  • 2 teaspoons baking powder




  • 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar




  • 1 teaspoon salt




  • 1 cup butter




  • 1 egg




  • 1 cup raisins (optional- I used chocolate chips and fresh blueberries instead)




  • Mix the sour cream and baking soda together in a small bowl. Set aside.

    In a larger bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, and cream of tartar. Cut the butter in with a pastry blender (the thingy I am holding in the photo below), or a fork, or two butter knives used scissor fashion. You'll want the mixture to look like fine crumbs.

    Then add the sour cream mixture and the egg. Mix until just blended. I didn't mix in my add-ins, I just pressed them into the tops of the scones, but if you want to mix yours in, do it at this point.

    Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, knead it once or twice so it holds together, then pat it out, 3/4" thick, either into a rectangle (for square-ish scones) or a circle (for wedge-ish scones). Cut into 12 scones. If you want to press your toppings into the top, do that now.Place onto a lightly-sprayed-with-Pam cookie sheet.


    Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 15 minutes. I wait until just the very edges are a tiny bit brown, the tops are still pretty much white. I don't like dry scones.
    Cool. Eat. Smile.
    Then go for a run. Or don't. Maybe just eat more scones.



    I got this recipe from http://www.allrecipes.com/

    2 comments:

    1. They look like dominoes! They wouldn't last long around here, either!

      ReplyDelete
    2. They DO look like dominos! My 7 year old thought the blueberries were olives.... he was not impressed.....

      ReplyDelete