"But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." Philipians 3:13b,14

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

8/15 Baking Day- Photos and Recipes

So, yesterday was one of those crazy days where a lot of things are happening.

My oldest son started his first ever class at our local Jr. College.

I was making an anniversary dinner for Wade's folks.

It was baking day

I had totally neglected my chores this weekend, so the house needed cleaning.

And then.........

I dropped eggs. Raw eggs. 8 of them. On the kitchen floor.

That was special. I was so bummed that I didn't think to take a photo. There was one egg running down my leg (ick) and a huge gloppy pile of egg goo all over the floor. So I holler for Nicholas to grab a new roll of paper towels (why do kids move in slow motion when you need them to hurry??!!)

Anyhow, so there is a really clean spot in my kitchen now. And my leg is pretty clean too.

Sigh.

Anyhow, here's what I baked!


This Banana Cream Pie.... oh my.. I made this for dessert. It was AWESOME!

I followed the recipe for the crust and the whipped cream, but I used (GASP) a box of instant pudding instead of making my own. I knew yesterday would be busy enough without trying to make custard that didn't curdle. I just subbed the small box of vanilla pudding. Yum!!! This pie was a HIT with everyone!! I just put the whipped cream into a Ziploc bag and snipped a corner off to make the little blob thingys on the top of the pie. I was trying to make it look fancy. I am SO not artistic.

I made a batch of Whole Wheat Skillet Gnocchi with Spinach and White Beans for lunches this week.

I have been doing more speed training and those hard workouts make me STARVING at meal time. It's good for me to have something healthy ready to heat and eat. Or else I will eat Red Vines.

For lunches, I made a batch of these cookies:

They are Chewy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies. I made a batch so that they would be ready when Christopher got home from his class yesterday. I had a few moments of doubt, thinking it was dorky and cheesy to bake cookies for a Senior in High School, but guess what? It wasn't. He liked it.



I made two loaves of Buttermilk Cinnamon Bread for breakfasts- (recipe to come this week). The boys LOVE this bread!! It's cheap and easy to make, and it keeps well!!

I made a batch of Whole Wheat Pita Bread- I did the dough in the bread machine to save time and it worked out fine!!

I love pita and hummus. It's probably my favorite snack currently.

Lastly, I made yet another batch of Chocolate Brownie Larabars. So far we haven't gotten sick of them- and they really help when I am needing something sweet in the afternoon! Wade takes one each day in his lunch.

Can I just say I will be glad when baking days are a bit cooler? I can keep it tolerable with the a/c and a fan, but I do enjoy cool mornings.....

Anyhow, happy baking!

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to try your Whole Wheat Skillet Gnocchi with Spinach and White Beans recipe! For now, I'm banned from desserts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is GREAT! I crave it.... I get the gnocchi from Trader joes- it's so easy too!! Oh, and I really like it leftover, it almost tastes better!! :)

    I have cut WAY back on any junk food, since my Tuscon training starts next week! I REALLY want to get my BQ!

    ReplyDelete