"But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." Philipians 3:13b,14

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Buttermilk Cinnamon Bread

I try and make homemade things for breakfast. Easy, sort of grab and eat things. This way I don't have to spend an arm and a leg on cereal.

Because we all know how much cereal teenagers and husbands can eat.

Plus, I like to have packable things for Wade to take.

All three guys LOVE this bread.

Here's what you need:
  • 4 cups all-purpose flour

  • 2 teaspoons baking soda

  • 1 teaspoon salt

  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil

  • 2 1/2 cups sugar, divided

  • 2 cups buttermilk (I didn't have any so I put 1 Tb. white vinegar in with regular milk)

  • 2 eggs

  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped walnuts (I omitted these)



  • Whisk together the oil, 1 1/2 cups of the sugar, and the eggs and buttermilk.

    In a mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients- the flour, baking soda, and salt.

    In a third bowl, mix together the remaining one cup sugar with the cinnamon and set aside.

    Now add the wet stuff to the dry stuff and mix, just until blended. In two well-greased 8x4 loaf pans, add 1/4 of the batter and 1/4 of the cinnamon sugar, then repeat. So you'll have batter/sugar/batter/sugar in each.
    Now take a butter knife and swirl the top layer of sugar sort of into the batter, like shown below:

    This is what it will look like when you're done:

    Then just pop in a pre-heated 350 oven for 45-55 minutes. Err on the side of baking it longer, and use a toothpick in the center to make sure it's cooked through. I have under baked it before and it was batter-ish in the middle.

    I cool it in the pan for about 10 minutes, then cool it completely on a wire rack. I wrap the loaves in plastic wrap and store in the fridge for a week. If it lasts that long.

    I got this recipe from http://www.allrecipes.com/

    2 comments:

    1. Yes this the best! I used to make this in a bundt pan for breakfast or dessert. Been a long time since I made this. I have a great recipe for an apple cake I bet you would enjoy!

      ReplyDelete