"But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." Philipians 3:13b,14

Monday, February 20, 2012

DIY Frozen French Toast- Budget Friendly, Quick Breakfast!

I have been looking for even more ways to cut back in our budget. The main area that always occurs to me is  our grocery budget. There are certain things that are last-resort areas to cut, such as coffee (I mean come on, it's coffee.......), high-quality produce, and the ingredients to make all the energy bars we eat daily. 

One huge expense is cereal. I like breakfast to be quick and easy, and fairly filling, since I live in a household filled with males. All of the boys LOVE French toast, but since it can cost up to $4 for a package of 6 pieces,  it isn't a budget friendly option. 


Making it yourself, however, is! I made 48 pieces of French toast for about $7. 


I used a double pack of sandwich bread from Costco- I used white, but you could use whole wheat to make the French toast healthier!


I fill a large-ish mixing bowl about halfway with milk. I would estimate I used maybe 6 cups. This is more of a concept than an exact recipe. :) I used cow's milk, but you could use soy or almond milk if that suits your dietary needs.


Add 4-5 eggs and beat well. You can also use egg beaters if you'd like. 


I have this awesome hand mixer from my grandma. I love using it.


Then add about 1/2 cup granulated sugar (You could sub honey if you don't like to use sugar), and a few teaspoons of vanilla extract. Mix well.


Then add 3 very large pinches of salt. See the camera cord hanging in the photo? That's what happens when you try and take one-handed photos. Nice.


Spray a griddle with Pam. I have an electric griddle that holds 8 slices of bread, but before I had this one, I used 2 skillets and cooked 6 pieces at a time. If you're using an electric griddle, I heat mine to 350 degrees.


Also, I like a lot of cinnamon on the French toast, so I sprinkle a light layer over the top of the milk mixture every 4 slices of bread so that each piece gets some cinnamon. 


Dip both sides of each slice of bread into the milk mixture, and place on the heated griddle or skillet. Cook for a few minutes on each side. It should look a little crusty and golden on each side:



I don't like mine soggy in the middle, so I make sure it's cooked through. 


I set the cooked French toast on plates to cool before bagging it up for the freezer! 


I put them in sandwich sized Ziploc bags, two to a bag. I leave the bags open if they're not totally cool.



Then I seal them up and take all the air out.


They reheat in the microwave in about 1-1.5 minutes. You can also heat the slices in the toaster if you prefer.


Yum. 

1 comment:

  1. Since I have had this cold eating has become hard, nothing sounds or taste good. But, last night I was craving french toast!!! I haven't had french toast for probably ten years. Weird you made this, must have had me on your mind. ;-)

    ReplyDelete