The day after an endurance event, I am monumentally hungry. I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night after a long race or training session with my stomach growling. I usually give myself free license to eat junk, but I just didn't want to do that this time. So I knew I would have to eat several meals throughout the day. This smoothie is full of great ingredients, delicious, and seriously satisfying!! It was a perfect recovery smoothie!
Recipe from OhSheGlows
Here's what you need:
- 1 banana, peeled, sliced, and frozen
- 1/2 avocado, peeled, cut into chunks and frozen
- 3 clementine tangerines, (the recipe called for them to be frozen, but I didn't freeze them and it turned out fine, so it's up to you)
- 1 can of unsweetened coconut milk (not lite), chilled. From this, you'll need 2 Tb of the "cream" off the top, and 1/2 cup of the "water" from the bottom. It separates when you chill the can.
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tb unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1 date, chopped, optional
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
I always have bananas frozen, so I just placed half an avocado in a baggie and froze it the same way. Now I have a few bags of each in the freezer in case I'd like to make another of these smoothies!
See? The coconut milk separates and makes a yummy cream layer, and then a coconut water layer beneath!
This was one of the best and most satisfying smoothies I've ever had! I highly recommend it!