"But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." Philipians 3:13b,14

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Make Ahead Lunch or Dinner- Healthy (but yummy) Turkey Chili

This chili is one of my favorite for lunches, snacks (I'll put a small amount on a sweet potato), and it has also become a camping staple. It freezes really well, I will often make a few batches at home and freeze them, then take the frozen containers in the ice chest and heat them in camp! Such an easy way to have a healthy meal on hand!




Really good in the afternoon instead of my usual Red Vines......


Here's what you need!
  • 1 Tb olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 bell peppers, any color, chopped (I used red)
  • 3 carrots, diced
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 1 pound lean ground turkey
  • 1 16-ounce container fresh cut salsa (usually in the refrigerated section by the pickles)
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 2 cans black beans
  • 1 Tb tomato paste


Chop up all the veggies, heat the olive oil in a soup pan and add the onions, pepers, carrots, and garlic and cook until soft, then add the cumin and chili powder and cook for another minute or so


Then add the turkey and cook until browned.

Rinse and drain the black beans:


Then add the black beans, salsa, chicken broth, and the tomato paste and bring to a simmer:


I like to simmer mine for about a half hour or so. Then I turn off the pot and let it cool down a bit, then ladle the chili into containers and let it cool down before putting it in the fridge or freezer. Or just eat it for dinner NOW!


I got this recipe from Oxygen Fitness Magazine, the October 2002 issue

Have a great Thursday!!

DINNER TONIGHT:
We are having what I listed for last night!(we had something different last night)
Chinese Chicken Salad
Yeast Rolls
Watermelon

No comments:

Post a Comment