"But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." Philipians 3:13b,14

Friday, April 29, 2011

Holy Guacamole!!



(Note that I am holding the chip with my toe thumb under it, so it will not be photographed)


As the days get longer, it is SO nice to be cooking dinner while the sun's still out. I can watch the kids playing in the backyard, enjoy the windows being open, and see the mountains out of my kitchen window. Making this guacamole reminds me of summer- when Wade is working in the yard until dinner time, and we eat outside for dinner. I will make up a batch of this and we'll all snack on it while dinner is cooking. We had a couple of summer-like days in the last few weeks (and a few WINTER-like days as well- crazy weather!) and it was on one of those warm evenings that I made up some guacamole!

Here's what you need:







  • 3 avocados - peeled, pitted, and sort of roughly smashed (I know, I know, that's not an official cooking term. Cut me some slack. I am not official :))



    • 1 lime, juiced







  • 1 teaspoon salt










  • 1/2 cup diced onion (I think red onion is especially yummy if you have one)










  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro










  • 2 roma (plum) tomatoes, diced (or if you don't have roma, regular are fine, just squeeze most of the pulp/seeds out of them so they're not super juicy)










  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic










  • 1 pinch ground cayenne pepper (optional, but GOOD)




  • (I don't know WHAT is up with the funky spacing in the ingredient list. I tried to fix it like 5 times and it kept getting messed up, so I gave up.)


    So, just sort of put all of the above ingredients into a medium mixing bowl:


    (DARN IT!! The toe thumb snuck into the shot!) (For those of you who homeschool, note the "coin cup" for Saxon math in the background.....)


    Then just mix it up and refrigerate for a few hours to allow the flavors to blend. I think it's best after 3 or 4 hours.

    ....if you can wait that long. :)

    I got this recipe from http://www.allrecipes.com/



    4 comments:

    1. I need to make some for Cinco De Mayo!

      ReplyDelete
    2. MMmmmm... yea and maragaritas!! :)

      ReplyDelete
    3. We've been eating it like it's going out of style lately. When you buy a sack of 5 avocados at Costco, you gotta make guacamole while the sun shines, as it were!

      ReplyDelete
    4. Susan, we had a GREAT avo tree in our old house, but now I have to buy them too..... :)

      ReplyDelete