"But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." Philipians 3:13b,14

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Apple Pecan Flax Bread..... It's What's For Breakfast!

So, I didn't put in a full baking day yesterday, as I was still unpacking, cleaning up, and getting my household back together after the AWESOME weekend at the Ragnar Relay!! It was GREAT! I am still brimming with laughter and good memories. What a wonderful experience.



Here's our team at the beginning of the race! More on Ragnar later this week!!!

So I needed something quick, but fairly nutritious and yummy for breakfast- and I've been wanting to test out this bread recipe:


Pictures don't really do it justice- this bread is DELISH!! Moist, slightly sweet, nutty.... it is really good! The recipe called for walnuts, but I had pecans, and really I am more of a pecan girl.

....You know, sometimes I read what I write and think, "really??! 'I'm more of a pecan girl'??! Okie dokie then Shari....."


So here's what you need:
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
generous pinch freshly ground nutmeg
2/3 cup buttermilk 
1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup grated apples
1/2 cup coarsely chopped apples (it took 2 apples total)
1 tablespoon flax seeds
3/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans, divided
cinnamon and sugar for sprinkling




So first, put the dry ingredients into one bowl, and the wet ingredients in another. Whisk each bowl.

Then, grate and chop the apples, and add them to the wet stuff. Then pour the dry stuff and 1/2 cup of the nuts and flax seeds in also and fold them together, just until combined.


Then spread the batter into a greased and floured 9x5 loaf pan. Then sprinkle the top first with sugar (I used a few teaspoons), then cinnamon (I just shook a bit lightly over the top) and the remaining 1/4 cup of the nuts. Mmmmmmmmm.


Bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes (my oven took 55 minutes, but it is an underachiever)


Let it cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then pop it out to cool the rest of the way on a wire rack.

I got this recipe from Joy the Baker 



So I've told you before how I am mercilessly mocked for my excessive food photos, right? Well, last night, everyone thought it was HILARIOUS to continue to stick their faces into my pictures. Then they started pushing me slightly, right when I was going to snap the photo. I caught a good one of my dad and Christopher in a full-fledged sabotage of a perfectly good shot.....


What can I say?? I still love them. Even though they are all brats.

....oh, and my dad DID take a piece of the bread to have for breakfast....

I had a little piece for dessert. It was yummy!!

I can't stop eating since Ragnar. Oh well. That's why I run, right??

DINNER TONIGHT:
Chicken Fajitas
Homemade Tortillas
Lime Cilantro Rice
Watermelon

No comments:

Post a Comment