"But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." Philipians 3:13b,14

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Whole Wheat Sunflower Seed Quick Bread

This bread is crunchy, not-too-sweet, and really easy to make!! It goes well with almond butter and honey, peanut butter and honey, or (of course) Nutella! I think it would be great for sandwiches too!

Here's what you need!
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup honey
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups buttermilk (I used regular milk with a Tb of vinegar)
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 cup roasted and salted sunflower seeds


First, spray two 8x4" loaf pans with Pam. OR, if you live in MY house, notice that someone (not me) used the last of the Pam and DID. NOT. WRITE. IT. ON. THE. LIST!

Who does that kind of thing???!!!! (At this point, if you're me, you yell at all possible suspects, then grease the pans with butter, just to make yourself feel better)

Whisk all the dry ingredients (Except the sunflower seeds, set those aside for a minute) in one bowl

And all the wet ingredients in another bowl:

Then combine. Mix just until combined. Don't over mix (It makes the bread tough) (Not the good kind of tough, like where people can do hard things without complaining. Which I love by the way. Not into whiners. Anyhow, over mixing batter makes bread the bad kind of tough. Break-your-teeth tough.)


Now fold  3/4 cup of the sunflower seeds into the batter

Then take the remaining seeds and sprinkle them onto the tops of the two loaves, pressing them in slightly. Then bake at 350 for about 35 minutes. Don't over bake, because then the bread will be dry. Which isn't quite as bad as tough, but still not great. Cool for a few minutes in the pans, then finish cooling on a wire rack.



I got this recipe from http://www.joythebaker.com/

So, how are you enjoying summer? I love the break from homeschooling, and I LOVE the longer days- it's so nice to have daylight after dinner!!  I have noticed that it is more difficult for me to be consistent about blogging, I don't have the strictly structured routine that I follow during the school year so I don't have a set time for writing! But I just try and get posts in when I can.

Have a great evening!!


1 comment: