"But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." Philipians 3:13b,14

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Make Your Own Apricot Jam!

Ok... I have a confession to make.

This was my first time making jam.

Another thing...I don't really have any desire to can things. (Does that make me null and void as a homeschooler?? Aren't all homeschool moms required to can things?) (For more on that, read this post)

I want to have the desire to can things, but alas....it eludes me.

If you feel the same way- GOOD NEWS! You do not have to can this jam. Really, if you can boil soup, you can make this jam. I put mine in the snack-sized Ziploc disposable containers, this way when I gave some of the jam away, I don't have to worry about getting the containers back from people. (I used to have very expensive Tupperware containers, and would be bitter when people wouldn't return them.... so now I use cheapy containers. Ok, I wasn't actually bitter, but it did bother me....)





You only need 3 ingredients!!

8 cups pitted, chopped fresh apricots
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
6 cups sugar

Pit the apricots, then chop them. I chopped mine roughly, I like big chunks in the jam, so that I can serve it with waffles and pancakes.....



Then put all the ingredients into a large, heavy-bottomed pot. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat:

Then continue boiling for about 30 minutes, stirring often to avoid the bottom burning/sticking. If you see the jam boiling too high, lower the heat.

Then turn off the heat, and spoon it into whatever containers you are using! If you are going to keep all the jam for your own use, you can freeze the containers once they're cool!

I feel so domestic.
Maybe I'll try to sew something.......

....yeah....I don't think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment