I got really, really excited about this salad.
But I live in a house full of boys.
Boys that like to eat, but who do NOT get excited about new recipes. Boo.
So after making these salads, I drove to my friend Mel's house so that I could show someone else this salad! So dorky! But for me, part of the joy of doing something fun is sharing that with people I love! So, poor Mel was accosted by me and my salad....
I stand by my excitement though. This salad is fabulous, healthy, filling, and convenient!
See? The dressing is in the bag inside the jar! You just pour the dressing onto the salad when you're ready to eat it, shake, and eat the salad right out of the jar! Super cool!
Whole Foods Inspired Layered Salad with Orange Ginger Dressing
From Oh She Glows
- 1 cup uncooked wheatberries (makes 2 & 1/4 cup cooked)
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa (makes 2.5 cups cooked)
- 1 cup edamame
- 1 cup diced carrots (about 2)
- 1.5 cups diced red pepper (1 large)
- 1.5 cups diced green pepper (1 large) (I used yellow because I think raw yellow is better than raw green)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley (I used cilantro, I'm not a huge parsley fan)
- Herbamare or kosher salt, to taste (I used sea salt)
Rinse and cook the wheatberries and the quinoa according to package directions.
I bought shelled edamamae, then cooked those as well.
Then chop all the veggies, and set up your assembly line!
for the dressing (makes four 1/4 cup servings):
- 2/3 cup 100% pure orange juice (I used freshly squeezed)
- 1/3 cup 100% pure apple juice
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh minced ginger
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil (the original recipe didn't call for this, but I felt like it was needed to balance out the citrus)
- kosher salt, to taste (I used 1/4 tsp)
Your kitchen smells awesome when you're making this!!
I bagged the dressing in sandwich Ziplocs.
Layer the jars (I used wide mouthed quart jars so that there was room for the dressing, and to shake the salad) like this: 1/2 cup wheatberries, 1/4 cup yellow peppers, 1/4 cup red peppers, 1/2 cup quinoa, 1/4 cup carrots, 2 Tb Parsley (or cilantro), 1/4 cup edamame. I added the bag of dressing right on top!
Deliciously amazing!! I added a bit of chopped avocado to the top! It was SO yummy!!!