"But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." Philipians 3:13b,14

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Oreo Overload Cupcakes

It was Wade's birthday recently.

His usual birthday "cake" of choice is Key Lime Pie, which I made for a family birthday dinner.

But I wanted to surprise him by taking something to his work.... and he has been on an unbelievable Oreo kick lately! I sometimes wonder if I am being some kind of enabler by continuing to purchase multiple packages of these cookies. I sometimes try and put my foot down..... but Wade is really cute. It's hard to say no to him.

So I found several recipes, and sort of combined a few, simplified, and came up with these!!


Yeah.... exactly. Make these.


Mmmmmm hmmmmmm...


Here's what you need:
  • 1 box chocolate cake mix (Yes, all the recipes called for a from-scratch cake. But cut me some slack, I was totally sick for a week, and have been playing catch-up. Sometimes practicality wins.)
  • 1 package regular Oreos
  • 1 container of the mini Oreos (for garnish on top of the cupcakes, not necessary, but cute.) (I mean, cool. Wade wouldn't want "cute" cupcakes.)
  • 2 containers of the white "whipped" icing- if you are going to use a knife to spread the icing on the cupcakes, you could probably just use one container. I plopped the icing in a Ziplock and snipped a corner off and sort of piped the icing on so it would be thick. I used most of the 2 containers.



Hey, just a side note- when you see these labels on packages, you should save them!! Schools get money when they turn these in, so even if your kid doesn't go to a school that redeems these, I'm sure you know someone who has a kid that DOES go to a school that redeems them! Free money rocks.


Line 24 muffin tins with paper cups, and place an Oreo in the bottom of each cup, like so:


Then make the box of cake mix up, according to the directions.

A side note here- some genius at Betty Crocker decided to put "Do Not Eat Raw Cake Batter" on the box. They did the same thing on their brownie mix box. Now, I know this is probably because someone sued them. But SERIOUSLY??!! Who is going to be deterred from eating raw batter because of a bossy box?? It seems like a waste of ink to me. Unfortunately, I was not consulted on the matter.


Okie dokie, now that you have made up the cake batter (And taken care NOT to eat ANY raw cake batter...), fill the cups 2/3 full, and bake according to the box directions. Note how I choose to follow some of the instructions on the box, but not all of them. YOU, of course, are free to follow the non-eating-of-the-cake-batter instructions. It's a free country.


Meanwhile, blend up or crush 3 Oreos to make crumbs. Mix these with the icing. After the cupcakes are cool, ice them. Then stick a mini Oreo on top of each cupcake.





Happy Baking!!




No comments:

Post a Comment