"But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." Philipians 3:13b,14

Monday, March 12, 2012

Crustless Broccoli and Cheese Quiche- Make Ahead and Healthy Breakfast!

So, this was the second make-ahead breakfast I tried last week! The first was Baked Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal, which was totally delicious, and a big hit with everyone!! This one was just as tasty, but on the savory side of things rather than the sweet.....


Another great thing about this quiche is that it is low in calories, and since it has the protein from the eggs and egg whites, it is super filling!


Crustless Broccoli and Cheese Quiche

  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1/2 cup vertically sliced onion (I just used 1 whole onion, I hate leftover onion in my fridge)
  • 5 cups broccoli florets (I used 1 bag of frozen florets, thawed)
  • 1 garlic clove, minced (I used 3 since I omitted the parsley, for extra flavor)
  • 1 1/4 cup 1% milk
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese (I used sandwich slices of Swiss cheese, 4 of them, and just chopped them instead of shredding)
  • 2 Tb chopped fresh parsley (I omitted this, I don't really like parsley too much)
  • 2 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper (I used cayenne instead)
  • 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 4 large egg whites, beaten
  • 2 large eggs, beaten
  • 1 Tb shredded Parmesan cheese



Preheat the oven to 350, grease a small baking dish or an 8-9" pie plate.

Heat olive oil in a skillet and cook the onion and garlic for 1 1/2 minutes. Then add the broccoli and cook an additional minute. 


Spread broccoli mixture into prepared pan:


Next, you're going to mix together the rest of the ingredients except for the Parmesan cheese.


(This is the reduced-fat Swiss cheese I used, from Trader Joe's) (That place rocks)



Whisk everything together really well, then pour over the broccoli mixture:


Then sprinkle the Parmesan over the top:


Bake at 350 until top is golden and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Mine took 50 minutes, I like my eggs cooked well. Let is sit for 10 minutes or so before serving.

I REALLY liked this served with salsa and a tortilla. Or, plain. Or..... on a bagel. 

....ok, ok, I just LIKE this. 

I have always found that eating well, as in healthfully, is extremely difficult unless I prepare ahead of time. Making up several healthy items to eat when I need something quickly is essential to me. This recipe will definitely be one to keep on hand!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment