"But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." Philipians 3:13b,14

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Homemade Hamburger Buns- Step by Step

So, yesterday, I added a thingy (I think it's called a "widget") to my blog called "Dinner Tonight".

My plan is to frequently post what I am cooking for dinner, and the recipe. :)  Probably some photos too, because I am a total freak about taking photos of food. It's a sickness, I know.....

So tonight, I made homemade hamburger buns........

I hate buying buns, especially since I make my menus two weeks at a time. They usually are stale by the time I use them. I have made sandwich buns before, when I made crock pot bbq chicken sandwiches, and these are similar. I got the recipe from the King Arthur Flour's website:

 http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/beautiful-burger-buns-recipe

(plus, they're called "beautiful buns" which I think is funny...hahahahaha!!)

Here are the ingredients you need:


Egg, butter, flour, sugar, salt, yeast, warm water (not pictured)

So first you want to dissolve 1/4 cup sugar in 3/4 cup + 2 TB warm water. Then sprinkle 1 TB yeast over the top. I  took a photo of the yeast developing in a measuring cup, so you can see how it should look when it blooms (foams up) properly:



So then you're going to put the yeast mixture in the bowl of your kitchen aid, and add 2 TB softened butter, one egg, and 1 1/4 tsp salt. Then top with 3 1/2 cups flour. Knead with the dough hook for about 4-5 minutes, it should climb the dough hook and pull away from the sides. (sometimes you need to add more flour or water, that's fine, just keep an eye on the dough. You want it to be the consistency of new play-dough, kind of moist and springy)


So then you want to put the dough into a greased/oiled bowl (I used Pam spray generously) and turn it over once to coat the top. Then put it somewhere warm and let it rise for about an hour:


Then after is rises for an hour, you want to divide the dough into 8 pieces and shape each into a 3" disc. Place the discs on a greased cookie sheet, and brush them with a little melted butter (alternately, you can brush them with a beaten egg and sprinkle them with sesame seeds) I did the butter:





(hopefully your cookie sheets aren't as disgusting as mine...)

Funny story. (now it's funny...) When we were first married, Wade, who is very much a clean freak, decided he was going to clean my BRAND NEW, never used Airbake cookie sheets. Which I had just gotten for Christmas. And they weren't even used yet (did I say that already???)

....he scrubbed them all. Hard. With Comet cleanser. Totally ruined the finish.

He is a good man. Very tolerant of my craziness, devastatingly handsome, a wonderful dad and excellent provider. But should not be allowed within 25 feet of any bake ware. Especially if he intends to clean it.......

Anyhow.... back to the beautiful buns.

So now you want to let them rise again. (remember, we just shaped them into 3" discs) for about 30 or 40 minutes, then bake them at 375 degrees for 15 or 18 minutes, or until golden brown.


I brushed them again very lightly with the rest of the butter when they came out of the oven.

With these, I made my favorite chicken burgers from Trader Joe's:


And the frozen sweet potato fries.....


We also had some grilled asparagus and orange slices. It was a yummy combo....




On my burger, I had some sliced tomatoes, avocado, a little sprinkle of Gorgonzola cheese, and a touch of mayo.



I was completely mocked by Wade and the boys for taking pictures of all the food at the dinner table, by the way. Whatever, I am used to living in a house full of males, I can take it. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment